
When Grace was 4-months-old, we began to notice an unusual amount of saliva begin to flow from her mouth-- so much so, she required a daily bib less she get soaked. Then the hand went in the mouth--all the time. Mom Mom kidded Grace by asking, "Is it chocolate or vanilla?" We would all laugh knowing that a tooth must be on the way. Random strangers stopped me at the supermarket to ask if she had gotten a tooth to which I would optimistically reply , "Not yet but soon!"
When Grace was 5 months we had a terrible night of teething. Grace awoke in hysterics, drenched in sweat. It was the equivalent of a Chinese fire drill. We both came running the crying was so bad. The dog headed for cover after plenty of "GD it Digby--get out of the way!" I yelled to get the tylenol but that of course takes time to work. We then got a cold wash cloth for Grace to chew on. That didn't work. We then got a teething ring. That didn't work. I thought this must be it. The tooth is about to make its appearance. After a horrific night, still no tooth.
Now I was a late teether. Nary a tooth to be seen until 12 months of age. Unfortunately for Grace, the condition is hereditary and it seems she caught some of my genes. At her 9 month checkup I pleaded with our beloved doctor, "Where on earth are her teeth?" He assured me by her next appointment she would have one. This is the one and only time the guy has been wrong. Grace's first tooth began to break through right before her first birthday. Now for those of you without kids or who don't have a kid under the age of 3, this is a bit off. Consider this--Grace's cousin Timmy had about 8 teeth before her first made it's appearance (they're 2 weeks apart). How about this--Grace's friend Arianna--2 months younger than her--had a mouthful before Grace's one made an appearance. I'm not about using teeth as some sort of developmental milestone or anything. I just want the madness to stop!
After the first tooth broke through, many people assured me the rest would come through like popcorn. This has not been the case. Each tooth (we're up to 4 now) comes with it's own drama. We're suffering through one now. The sad part about teething is not necessarily the pain it causes them. Yes it's absolutely terrible to watch your child in pain and yes, it's not fair they have to go through this. What really sucks about teething is what it does to you. I like to think of myself as an exceptionally affectionate parent. I'll stop what I'm doing to give Grace a hug. I greet each day (no matter how bad the night was) with a big smile and hug for my daughter. But these past few days have really, really tried my patience. Grace has vacillated between Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde. She's a beautiful, smiling, laughing angel the one minute, the next she's a howling, rabid tree monkey screeching to be picked up and, in the same breath, raking my face to be put down. I do not have an unlimited supply of patience and if there is a tooth in there ready to come through, it better make an appearance soon. It's not that I don't feel the kid's pain. I do and it does hurt to see her pain and not be able to help it. I give her motrin and tylenol and have bought every teething ring made by Shang Sheck in the Korean Republic. There's just not a lot you can do except ride it out.
Thankfully Grace went down easily for her nap today. We were reading "The Runaway Bunny" (one of my personal favorites) when Grace reached around and gave me a "pat, pat" on the face. This instantly made me nervous and I covered my eyes thinking the raking must be next. But then she rested her head on my chest and rubbed my back just like I do for her when she's in pain. It's moments like these that help me refuel. I know come 3:00, when she wakes up, I can go in with a smile and hug for her ready to once again face the drama of the teeth.
No comments:
Post a Comment