Every day I think: I can update the blog OR collapse on the sofa at the end of the day. I'm trying to do this as I inhale a bowl of cereal for lunch and hear inconsolable screaming from the other room from one, and stream of consciousness singing (screaming) from the other (something about a boy lost in the woods, today's my birthday, if you love someone--I can't make this stuff up). I'll let you figure out who is who. . .
March is a cruel, cruel temptress and we've been exploiting the few nicer days we've had. If my kids could live outside, we'd be golden. No one screams or pitches fits or argues when we're outside. On Monday Grace and Luke played outside for over an hour as I unloaded groceries. They played beautifully together and burned off so much steam. Then another hour outside yesterday after school. Please say a prayer spring comes quickly. . .
I've gotten back into the swing of things with running. Last week was crucial for me psychologically. In the past something has always come along to derail my running and it's been hard to get back on track. With the kids healthy and recovered, I needed to get back in the swing of things. Last week was great: 5 runs for 24 miles total. My long run on Sunday was about 7 miles and despite a stupid blister on my big toe which is annoying me, my legs were tired but happy to be working again. Tom mentioned a friend of his might be interested in running Broad Street with me so some company would be nice.
And now, your moment of zen. . . . Yesterday was my day to volunteer at school. Our babysitter was under the weather so I took Luke with me. In addition to helping 15 3 year olds, I managed Luke who thought he was a big guy too (until he got knocked on his keester). A family was visiting the school to take a look for next year and Grace's teacher asked if I would answer some questions. They were kind of kooky. The mom was very concerned there wasn't more "structured" learning taking place. I guess she thinks they should sit in desks while the teachers write things on the board. I was annoyed with the whole line of questioning because she clearly had no idea how a 3 year old class should look (something you should know if you're reviewing programs). Anyways, we're talking and I notice this weird look on her face. My first thought was that Luke must be eating the paint or something but I looked over towards the bathroom and had a moment I shall never, ever forget. There stood my pal Alex who had presciently chosen a "Ladies Man" t-shirt for the day--with his pants down--um, "enjoying himself"--you know, just checking out class to see what was going on. I ran right over and guided him into the bathroom encouraging him to pull his pants up but the look on the parent's faces was priceless. I'm going to remind his mother of this moment at Grace and Alex's high school graduation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment