My aunt's friend Nina has a grandnephew who is 5 and is battling leukemia. It's a really sad situation--the type that makes you want to shake your fist at the sky and yell as loud as you can "WHY?" It's always really sad when an adult is diagnosed with cancer but when it's a child? It just knocks the air out of you. It's a life sucker punch.
Since I found out about Sawyer's diagnosis I've been wanting to do something to help. I've never met them but that doesn't matter. In situations like these, people want to do something, anything to show this poor family they're not alone. This past weekend Nina organized the mother of all yard sales to raise money for her niece's family.
You all know how I like to use my powers for good so I baked up a giant box of goodies for a bake-sale table. Four mini loaves of marble pound cake, giant chocolate chip cookies, various chocolate pops, and rice krispie treat pops (thanks to Maie on this one!) The rice krispie treats were apparently a giant hit!
So guess how much money was raised? Hold your breath----$8,000. That's right--$8,000 and I heard you gasp;) I know I certainly did when Nina told me. She said the turnout was amazing. They advertised it as a fund raiser for the family and people turned out in droves. Nina told me of one man who bought a $5 item, gave them $100, and said keep the change.
And you know what's messed up about this world? I bet this story never made the news. I'm sure the news featured lots of sad stories about people doing a bad job or some sort of tragedy that befell some poor soul. But here is the world doing tons of good and yet, it falls to me to tell you about it.
Regardless, I complain a lot about how irritating people can be and here is a big life reminder that, when push comes to shove, they can come through.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
oh wow, that is TREMENDOUS that people were able to pull together and show that much support for that family, amazing! It's stories like these that reignite the hope that I have for the world my babies are growing up in. It's not all gloomy and dark and I pray with all my heart that I'm able to raise kindhearted, gracious, stand up men who will contribute daily to the good of this world ♥
We'll be thinking of Sawyer, what an adorable name!
p.s. i am SO glad to hear the pops were a hit, how fun!!!
Maie--they were such a hit they want more for next weekend's follow up sale! My aunt just asked for 24! I'm so happy to help again! And Sawyer is an adorable name!
Post a Comment