On July 30, 2004, at 2:10 am, after 20 hours of labor, Grace, 14 days late, made her way into the world. I can honestly say I vividly remember practically every moment of that day. From heading out the door to go to Pennsylvania Hospital, being checked in, the nurse with the great purple clogs who got my IV line started, my first contraction while watching Regis, the searing pain of pitocin contractions, Tom's beyond worried face, my asshole doctor practicing his golf swing while I pushed and the volleyball-coach nurse who screamed at me to push Grace out when I didn't think I could, the monitor showing the decreasing heartbeat with each contraction, the urgency of everyone yelling push, her first screams which still brings me to tears and the sound of the doctor's voice saying you have a girl. And then me repeating it to Tom who had not heard him and was about to hit the floor. . .
And yet, here she is. Beautiful Grace. The little baby who taught me how to be a mommy and was patient enough to stick it out with me as we figure out this parenting stuff. I'm not sure what else I can say except how thankful I am for Grace. She's taught me so much in so few years. She's an amazing little girl who lights up our life with so much happiness.
I know you're all too lazy to go back in the blog archives so I put together some of my favorite pictures. It took a really long time and so there are gaps but you get a sense of, as historians say, change over time. But yet I see continuities, as I always do. . .
The first official picture of Grace

I adore this picture

Did I mention she weighed 9 pounds, 6 ounces? Eeeeeeeeeowch!

Duckie kisses: classic

Wow-she can sit now! Loved that bouncy seat!

I still see that smile

Grace loved peekaboo

He, he, he-I really laughed when I saw this one. Grace was an early roller but had great difficulty rolling back. LOL!

Ah yes--the bloated bumblebee Halloween!

Oh man---this picture!!!!!!! I LOVED this outfit and the look on her face: Think, think, think.. . . . Where did I put that. . .

Easter--how sweet in her hat!

I like this one because you can see the absence of teeth just before her first birthday

One of my all time favs: "I Love Philly" with our row home in the background. Sniff. . .

I love this one even more

But maybe not as much as this one

Now Grace is getting bigger. She's laughing at the geese

LOL! Hope I made you laugh! I saw this one and had to include it! Digby's really bad haircut. Oh man--I'm still laughing!

Dancing with daddy when he came home from work--a big tradition. Victor Vito!

First hair cut

I put a crayon in her hands as soon as she could hold one

My sweet pumpkin

Loving fall

Still painting.

And baking!

And licking. Shhhh-don't tell Tom. Salmonella shmalmonella

I loved this dress on her on the 4th

Summer fun

And winter fun too

And then along came. . .

She's the poster child for fall

How can you not smile with her? Love the dimple

Maybe my all time favorite? Very close competitor to the recent closeup I took

If you want more lazyheads, go to the blog archive and click around. I simply cannot upload another picture when I have a giant day planned for just mommy and Grace.
3 comments:
Great Pictures! Grace looks a lot like I did at that age. Someday I'll find some pictures and show you.
omgoodness, i LOVED seeing all these pics! I haven't seen so many of them before and she just melts my heart! I love her sweet smile and the spunk in her eyes...shes just TOO adorable!!!
Happy Birthday Grace!!!! muah!
Omgosh I cannot stop laughing at Digby! I remember that funny haircut he got! HAHAHA!
Those are PRICELESS pics of Grace! You did an amazing job photographing those and they are to cherish forever! AWESOME!
Summer
Post a Comment