Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Just A Little Patience

Yesterday we went to Produce Junction because they had impatients 3 pots for $2. So we got there and I grabbed a flatbed and Grace and Luke "helped" me to push it and grab some flowers. Pushing a flatbed with 2 small helpers is no small task but we meandered our way over and managed not to side swipe any cars or children.

Grace and Luke were charged with picking out the flowers and putting them on the cart. Grace had all sorts of questions about the different flowers there were, if they like a lot of sun or a little sun, could we get some oranges and tomatoes too if they did a good job. Luke was industrious and went right to work moving all those flowers. Well, actually throwing all those flowers but that's what little boys do.

We were wrapping up and this lovely woman stopped me to say how many happy memories she had of doing similar things with her daughters who were all grown now. She said they used to plant the flowers together, bake together, have library time and while it was the hardest job in the whole world, she had no regrets and wishes she could have that time back. I was stunned someone had shared something so personal with me but I could see the way she was looking at the kids and I could tell she really missed those days.

She concluded by saying I had "beautiful patience" and so many parents are in such a rush these days and had little time for their children. She thanked me for reminding her of those days and moved on.

I need to hear stuff like this. Sometimes I feel like I have no patience and I'm terrible at this stay at home thing. I'll be the first to admit I put on the good face in public but she also caught me at a time that was pretty routine for us. Just an outing together that would turn into an outside activity later. Everyone was good and having fun. I certainly have times that don't even resemble this moment but I'd like to think, by and large, this is our life and I guess it is pretty cool. So thank you nice woman for reminding me of this.

Ran on the TM for a super easy 45 minutes. Watched the end of Oceans 12. The ending is much better than the beginning. Got out this morning for an easy 45 too. My legs are still a bit tired from LR Sunday but I'm sure there will be some adjustment as I get used to the new schedule.

No comments: