I've been posting so much about vacation and goodies, I've been remiss in keeping you updated on my world of running. There's been a shakeup but it's all good.
Just before vacation my obsessive personality reared it's ugly head. I had been wondering when it would show it's ugly self and knew it was a matter of time. For me to go nine months or so and not go off the deep end with a new found love is nothing short of miraculous. You name it, I'll obsess over it: scrapbooking, photography, cooking, baking, candy--and now soap. I know--the last one is weird and I'll share more in the next weeks once I pour over the books I have.
I noticed I was getting too concerned about my times. Asking more and more to wear Tom's Garmin. I'd look at splits pick up the pace and pick up the pace some more. I stopped making my easy runs so easy but kept telling myself I was enjoying it and it was a good workout. This is most telling in my tempo runs. I consistently ran way too fast on these days.
When we were up the mountains I continued to run too hard. And here is where the breaking point came. I've said before running in the mountains of NE Pennsylvania is no joke. There is no flat--only up and down. I got my runs in but by the end of the week I had a bad case of the "I don't want to's." I started to really dislike my runs and chalked it up to the rigorous hills.
I went out for a longer run on Barrets Road. About midway down I decided to slow the hell down. I felt like I was rocketing myself down this incredibly scenic place and not even stopping to breathe. It was then I broke up with my old running self. I practically jogged the rest of the run--I'm sure my heart rate was low, low, low. I breathed easier, took in the scenery, and enjoyed myself. I came back with a smile on my face.
The next week I took off. Old Jen would have freaked out but new running Jen said that's a-ok. When we came back, I eased my way back into it but I'm not pushing myself anymore. I'm not saying things like "time to get back on track" or "let's see what the schedule says." I am trying to stick to a routine so I feel good at the Distance Run. But I'm not going to kill it or smash it or kick it's ass. That was old running Jen. New running Jen wants to have FUN with thousands of my closest running friends. Less than one year ago I could barely finish a 5K. Now I know I can finish a half and I want to relish that time.
I think my time at Broad Street and my subsequent 5Ks went to my head a bit. I'm not a competitive runner. I began running for fitness and health. If I continued down the road of pushing myself too hard, I'd stop enjoying it and probably stop running. I can honestly say I feel relieved with my new perspective. Instead of saying I really want to break 2 hours at the half, I now say 2 would be great but I can't wait to see the course and finish my first half. See how much better that sounds? New running Jen is sooo much more fun;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It happens to the best of us! I like your perspective and the sounds of new running Jen :) Continued good runs to you as PDR nears, I look forward to cheering for ya!!!
I like the new running Jen too, I bet she'll be running for many more years than old running Jen would. I imagine its hard not to think of speeding it up when your husband is fast as lightening!
I love your perspective! And I bet with less pressure on yourself, you'll do better than you expect. :)
Post a Comment