Wednesday, September 03, 2008

First and foremost. . .

. . .Tom considers himself a dancer. Yup, even before running, Tom had the dance in his soul. You laugh--but it's true! Tom loves to dance and seriously, he's not bad! His genes have flowed into Grace and when there's music around, the world better make way for the two of them.

This past weekend we headed to the lake and enjoyed what has become an annual tradition--Labor Day Party at "music house" (as Grace calls it). Each year this family hires a band, grills the most amazing chicken you've ever tasted, and, in short, throws one hell of a party. People pull up on their boats, bring their beer and wine, and chairs and set up shop. Grace and Tom danced the night away. Luke pushed his cars down the hill right in front of the band and when they stopped, he quietly said, "more please."

I got to sneak in a few dances with Grace- specifically "Brown Eyed Girl." I was struck by the line "my how you have grown" as I attempted to twirl her around. Then I realized Luke was screaming. And then I saw the bee on him. But it was too late--his first sting. If it was Grace, we would have had to call an ambulance--her drama is that bad. but Luke rolled with it. A piece of cake makes everything better.

Speaking of cake, I spent all night Thursday creating a beautiful "fishing" themed cake for the party. It was seriously cute. But, ends up, Digby really liked it too. I mean really liked it. Can I just say how ill-equipped our local grocery store is for a cake decorator? I managed to piece together another cake but it just wasn't the same. . . And yes it was chocolate cake. And no, it didn't kill the dog or even make him sick. He's like a Great White Shark. I'd love to see what's in his stomach. A spare tire, numerous chew toys, princess shoes, a copy of my disseration. . . .

Here's some pics:

How cute are they? Notice their mouths? Yup, they're related!

Dance Lukie, dance! By dance I mean: spin yourself around until you get dizzy, fall over, repeat.

Serioulsy-the kid talks about this party all year. She just had a fantastic time.
Getting them to leave was tricky. . .
Their first fish! Grace caught her first stripped bass with Tom out on the boat and Luke caught this blue fin off the shore. Both kids were thrilled. Of course we threw them back and everyone was excited when the winner of the fish derby immediately ran to the lake to get his guy back in the water.

2 comments:

Maria said...

The lake house sounds utterly & completely magical!! I'm jealous!

sauconRunner said...

Sounds like a great time. I love hearing your lake stories!

I think Digby and Boots O'Malley might be related :-(