When we moved to Jenkintown, we all signed up at the Abington YMCA. I could stand to lose a few pounds and, if Digby can do it, I can too. My friend Holly posed an interesting question-- why don't all mothers weigh 115 pounds? All we do is chase and move all day long. I asked my doctor about losing some weight and he suggested I eat less. He's a funny guy.
I like the Y for many reasons. One, it's close to Trader Joes. Two, I like that they have signs up reminding me to be a good person. Depending on my day, I sometimes could use some reminding. Three, they have babysitting while you work out. Four, nobody looks like they should be on a magazine cover. Five, Bob the trainer can really kick your butt. Six, it's close to Trader Joes.
The babysitters at the Y are the kindest group of women you'll ever meet--except potato chip lady and we won't talk about her because that's not nice. See-- the Y works wonders with my demeanor! Since day 1, Grace has despised being left at babysitting. She screams like no child should scream. Absolute hysterics while she clings desperately to my leg, raking it with her tiny fingernails. As a point of reference, think Cujo. This, of course, makes me feel terrible. I must be an incredibly selfish mom to do this to my child. After I convince myself that it's not unreasonable to leave your child for an hour while you exercise, I pry her fingers off and leave her in the arms of a smiling and optimistic babysitter who swears she'll be fine. I know she'll be fine. I just don't want anyone to have to listen to that. I guess it's obvious why she doesn't like it but seriously--they have awesome toys and a TV on all the time. This should be a kid's paradise.
Now when I went on Monday things were a little better. A dad was dropping off his twin girls (accompanied by 2 giant Elmo's). Grace was clinging a bit but then, the familiar "la, la, la, la, la, la, la--Elmo's World" song began to play on the TV. The kids relaxed for a second and the dad elbowed me and said "Now's our chance! Leave and don't look back." So I left but didn't follow directions and did look back to see Grace in a fit of hysterics. Today, however, was different. I put her down and there she went--toddling away. She went right to the toys and didn't even look back. I stood there momentarily dumbfounded and then I realized I was very, very sad. While happy she didn't do her best impression of Cujo, I was pretty surprised at my reaction. Who knows what this means for the next time we go but I guess Grace is growing up right before our eyes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment