Thursday, November 03, 2005

A Tough Lesson




Grace and Digby had me rolling on the floor yesterday. I was working at my desk and I hear Grace squealing with total delight. I pondered what she had gotten into. . . .Well, a moment later she comes charging into my office with Digby in hot pursuit. I had left the dog's leash on the ground and Grace decided to play a game of "walk the dog." I watched as she carefully draped the leash over his shoulders. This was pretty interesting because she knew right where to put it even if she didn't know how to clip it on. Then she took off with Digby following her. They went back and forth between Digby happily trotting behind her and Digby trying to grab the leash and take Grace for a walk. This went on for some time and it was hilarious to watch because they were both having such a great time. It was too bad it had to end. . .

They were playing in the kitchen and Digby successfully grabbed a mouthful of leash and decided to take off. Grace still had the other end and did not let go. Here is where events happen in slow motion. I see they're both headed for the kitchen doorway. I start yelling, "No Digby, stop! Grace let go!!!!!!" But she didn't. Digby cleared the door but poor Grace didn't and the damn dog ran her right into the doorway. ****SIGH**** [A note on Grace falling: Grace falls about 30 times a day. Most of the time she's fine. In fact, it happens so often, I've taken to running over to her whimpering on the floor, and, in my best National League umpire's voice, yell "safe!" But once a day she really wipes out. When this happens I don't even wait to see if she's ok because I know it could be bad. I usually come running before she even has a chance to cry because I know it must have really hurt and I'd need a hug if that happened to me. This was one of those times.] So I scoop Grace off the floor and inspect her head for cuts and blood. Just a big red mark where she made full-speed contact with the doorway. She's screaming and while I'm comforting her, I have to suppress a major chuckle. This may sound mean, but it really was kind of funny considering she was just fine. So Grace's big lesson of the day: In as much as you walk Digby, Digby is always walking you.

No comments: