Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A Baby Changes Everything

Johnson and Johnson has a commercial out with the theme "A baby changes everything." Whatever marketing firm came up with the concept and design should receive an award because, as much as I hate to say this about commercials, it's beautiful. Well, I actually do say that about one other commercial. Have you seen the American Express commercial with Robert DeNiro, "My New York"? It's stunning and it should be because it's directed by Martin Scorsese. Anyways. . . The commercial features little kids and their parents sharing these amazing moments together. Not like baby's first steps or first words. But dad holding a frog and the kids squealing in delight. Mom and dad exchange that knowing look, the "man this is so freakin cool look" and it just really captures the magic of being parents.

When we lived in the city, one of my favorite past times was to throw Grace in the stroller and go visit our little grocery store. There were always people to talk to and it got us out of the house. I always enjoyed talking to one of the brothers who owned the place because he was funny and looked just as eager to talk to someone as me. I remember when Grace was maybe 8 months old we were talking about how happy we are as a family, how wonderful it is to be a parent. The brother then says to me, "When Grace is about a year old, sleeping through the night, eating on her own, you guys are going to do something really stupid. You're going to have another." It was a joke and we both laughed but the man is wise. So here we go again. For those of you who don't know, baby deuce is on his/her way come the end of July. Hopefully not too close to the end of July. The due date is July 24. Our beloved daughter's birthday is July 30. Oy. . . . .

For a while after Grace was born I couldn't understand how you could possibly love your second as much as you love your first. But, as any parent will tell you, you just do. And that's what's cool about adding to your family. Grace fills our family with so much love, why not add to it? There's so much I could say right now about having another, what the pregnancy has been like so far, but it's rich material and I'll be updating the blog with it soon. But right now Grace is trying to put a bow in Digby's hair and he has a look of "Dear God somebody do something" so I'd better go.

No comments: