Saturday, February 04, 2006

What a week

Well, there's a first for everything and this week chez Jen and Grace was hit by its first intestinal bug. It started off with some messy diapers and crankiness. I attributed it to teething. While pediatricians will tell you there's no medical reason why kids would get fevers or diarrhea from teething, talk to a parent and they'll tell you differently. Then Grace stopped eating which is really, really odd. I mean, this kid loves to eat. Again, I thought it was her teeth. But then, Grace woke up from a nap with a diaper disaster the likes of which I've never seen and hope to never see again. Later that day, she refused to eat any dinner. My husband and I tried to convince her to eat a bite with no luck. We let her down from the table and she promptly spewed all over me. Then we knew something was wrong. It was time to go see the doctor. So off we went. . . .

Grace was fine except for the stomach bug. We changed up her diet to all bland food but this did not sit well with the queen of eating. I can't tell you how many battles we fought over snack and meal time. Nothing was acceptable to her and it usually ended with the two of us in tears. It was a week that tried parents' souls but we survived until Friday. You see, Grace was beginning to feel really good by Friday. She was eating well again and back to her normal cheery self. Only problem was I was up all night with a stomach ache. Now I know why the kid was so cranky! Man did it stink! You're hungry but nothing seems appetizing and when you do eat, you feel like you're only a few steps away from the bathroom.

By Friday night Grace was peacefully sleeping and I was feeling a little better so hubby hit the gym. On one of my trips to the kitchen I noticed the dog had to go out. So I let him out and I hear him immediately start barking. Anyone who knows Digby knows this is really out of character. So, lightheaded and wondering if a trip to the bathroom was imminent, I ran out to see what the hell was going on. Well. . . . . .Digby was attacking the trash can that had blown over. Yup, the trash can. He was charging it, barking at it, snapping at it. I tried to call him off very aware that he was pushing the trash can towards our neighbors who were home at the time. Dear God I thought. . . .So, lightheaded and crampy, I charged out back to retrieve Captain Idiot. Of course he was only trying to protect us from the evil trash can. What a good dog he is. Sigh. . . .

Hopefully the upcoming week will be better. I'll let you know.

No comments: