We foolishly thought as the kids got older we would be getting more and more and more sleep. We didn't realize that even at the age of 3, kids can have some pretty rough sleeping issues. Obviously Grace isn't teething but she is going through something that can be just as painful-nightmares.
It's a sad day as a parent when you realize your child has fears--real fears--not like Luke's screams when I leave the room. Grace doesn't ever really talk about being scared and rarely shows any emotion during fairly intense movie scenes. But maybe some of these movies are starting to get to her. Or maybe it's just the age.
Last night Grace called out in her sleep. I usually encourage Tom to stay in bed just to see if she'll roll over and fall back to sleep (sometimes she does). The screaming intensified and she was shouting "don't take him." When I went in I had a hard time waking her as she kept saying "no don't take him!" When I finally got her to wake up I asked "take who?" Grace replied, "The bear--the bear took Lukie--help him mommy!" Oh my gosh it broke my heart. Grace has had nightmares about Luke before--one in particular about him taking her toys. But this was just so sad and kind of sweet. She didn't understand it was just a dream. She kept telling me "I saw the bear mom--he took Lukie."
I was sad for Grace. I know when I wake from a very vivid dream it's really disconcerting. I have a hard time realizing I'm in my own bed, safe and sound. And I'm not 3. Oddly enough, I found myself getting really pissed at that bear--pissed he scared the crap out of Grace and pissed he took Lukie. I told Grace if I saw that bear in my dreams I was going to kick him really hard in the head and let him know not to mess with my brood. I kind if hope I do meet that bear tonight because we now have a score to settle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment