Monday, November 05, 2007

Who That Guy?



When we visited the Camden Children's Garden, Grace pondered the giant statue of one of my most, most beloved and favorite 19th century poets, authors, peace activists, and humanitarians: Walt Whitman. I just adore Whitman and his house is not all that far from where we visited but it's in a terrible neighborhood so we haven't gone to visit.

Grace asked me, "Mom? Who that guy?" I smiled and thought for a second about how I could sum up my admiration for this guy, a hero if you will, in a way that made sense to Grace. I have similar problems when Grace asks me questions about Disney's Pocohontas. "Mommy-what does sandwich mean?" She actually means to say "savage" which I find hilarious. Sometimes three year olds ask very difficult questions.

So I said to Grace, Walt Whitman was a very famous author and an all around good guy. Grace nodded. "What he write mom?" I was surprised she asked such a question because that's a pretty mature observation. I said "Leaves of Grass." Grace: "Why he write about grass mom?" Me: "Want to go on the carousel?"

1 comment:

.jimaie.marie. said...

LOL! i love how you just left off with "want to go on the carousel?"
thats a move i wouldve made indeed! ;]
they really do ask some difficult Q's sometimes dont they? makes you think!