Damn it's cold outside. When I dropped Grace at school this morning it was 20 degrees. I was excited to leave the house though. My babysitter came over for Luke and I signed Grace up for "brunch yunch" or lunch bunch. It's an extended stay program and the kids get picked up at 2pm instead of 11:30. She's been dying to stay so I reluctantly agreed. Snack time is peanut free but not lunch. I was assured by another mom that she would send her son with a peanut free lunch so Grace wouldn't sit by herself. She was thrilled at drop off and tickled to be staying. What a big girl. . . We packed her Tinkerbell lunch bag and she was so proud to carry it into school. As I held her hand walking in I couldn't help but be impressed by the little girl she's become.
I was giddy when I got in the car all by myself. I had contemplated running at the gym but if I can get outside I like to. So I bundled up and headed to the park. The first 15-20 minutes were brutal. I immediately felt the wind on my lips (of all places) and my hands were hurting me despite two pairs of knit gloves and a shirt that also had hand coverage. It was starting to snow/sleet lightly and I almost turned around. But then I heard a really pissed off goose on the pond and it amused me long enough to realize I was getting warmer. I felt like shouting to him "Dude--it's cold--all your friends left for warmer places. You're a schmuck." I thought better of it realizing the goose probably well understood the error of his ways at this point. I kept shaking my hands which got the blood flowing and soon enough I was super warm.
I usually run with music but today it was annoying me. I turned it off so I could listen to the sound of the snow hitting the trees. Somehow it didn't seem appropriate listening to Aerosmith and Ricky Martin when I could be listening to this.
I did see two other runners when I was out but no walkers. One woman I see a lot yelled "Where's the baby?" I yelled back "at home with the babysitter" to which she replied "good for you!" And it was. 45 minutes of easy running and a car with a nice seat warmer to welcome me back.
I got some Valentine's Day errands done which was important because, in some sort of vaguely British way, Grace keeps telling me "the holidays are coming." I try to set reasonable expectations of what we'll be doing on Valentine's Day: some candy, a groovy cake, and a few small presents but I don't think I'm getting through.
Grace had a fantastic time at lunch bunch but told me she sat by herself at lunch because "my have a peanut allergy." Now this doesn't phase Grace but it made my heart sink when she told me. I HATE the idea of Grace sitting by herself and I felt myself getting very angry. Why didn't that mom come through? Tom correctly pointed out I need to find out if that was true before I get too livid. I'm going to make a call and find out tomorrow.
In the meantime, one of my friends called me today and was seriously annoyed too at what may have happened. She assured me her son (who rarely stays) would bring a safe lunch and sit with Grace. I believe her because she's just that kind of person. She also told me that Jenkintown finally moved to all day kindergarten--something neither of us wanted for our kiddos. I need to find out if this is true and if they'll be offering a half day option. It seems I'm the rarest of birds who actually wants my child home with me for as long as I can hang on. School is such a long period in their lives and my time with my lovies is so relatively short. People look at me like I'm nuts when I stay stuff like that but it's true. They grow up so, so fast these days. I see no reason to encourage it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment