Rather than backtrack through everything I failed to share with you, I figured I'd start with last week which was an eventful one for us. We just about recovered from the blitzkrieg of stomach viruses and did an all out push to catch up on some needed appointments. I saw the dentist, Grace saw the dentist, and Luke had a checkup.
I had one cavity. Boo hoo for me.
I was actually nervous about Grace seeing the dentist. We brush religiously but how good of a job we're doing, it's hard to say. We don't do a lot of juice, none of those fruit roll ups or gummie snacks, and basically not much candy at all. I knew she should be ok but I was still nervous.
We went to the local children's dentist and let me tell you--they don't make them like this guy anymore. He must have been 70 years old and the kindest, gentlest man I think I've ever met. Soft spoken and reassuring he had Grace bursting when he told her her teeth looked like Cinderella's. He was equally as conversant about Dora and Boots--impressive for an older gentleman.
Grace did fine. She sat in my lap for the cleaning and got a goody bag of stickers, tattoos, dinosaurs, and basically lots of stuff from Oriental Trading Company. She was thrilled and I was too---"Beautiful teeth mom-keep up the good work." Phew! I really wish he could be my dentist. All I got was some dumb old floss and a new toothbrush. Even Grace was disappointed in my haul.
Luke had his 18 month check up and I was nervous for him too. He's usually on the lighter side and with the recent bug I was worried about his weight (not that Dr. King ever is). He ended up gaining a pound and growing some. Still a skinny guy (10-25% for weight) but average for height which is what they like to see (taller than heavier).
I usually have a giant list of questions and this time around it was largely about behavior and the terrible 2's (which have sucked lately). Luke has a seriously hot temper. He's the poster child for the terrible twos and the violent tantrums that come with it. But I also figured he was still dealing with the effects of the stomach bug and was super crabby lately. We talked strategy and moved on.
Then came the exam. Everyone knows what a late teether Luke is. He looks like an old man with his toothless chompers. So King is looking in his mouth and I wasn't even paying attention because there's nothing ever to report--until now. FOUR FREAKIN MOLARS--ready to pop and one eye tooth. King announced "Now there's the source of your crabbiness. A little bit of motrin should help." Well that explained some things. We ended with a round of shots that almost saw Grace drop to the floor. She was standing on the stool next to me watching the doctor get ready for the shots (she insisted she watch). I'm trying to hold Luke still and as the ped is ready to give the shot I hear him say 'Grace honey--are you ok?" I look over at her and she's as pale as a ghost shaking her head back and forth. Poor thing! I think we may have ruled out a career.
The weekend was kind of brutal. Luke has been up with his teeth and generally speaking, a major piece of work. Grace has been waking up too early and is one, big emotional mess. I'm hoping dramatic whining is a phase that ends quickly. Think nails on a chalkboard.
I'm off tomorrow while Grace is at school and got a babysitter for Luke for some well-deserved mommy time (read: errands). But they'll be in peace which is what I need right now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment