Sunday, May 18, 2008

Put Me In Coach!

Tom's been itching to take the kids to a baseball game and I've held him off until now. . . His group of running friends was heading up to see the Lakewood Phillies and the opportunity was right. One of his friend's husband works for the Phillies and we got to sit on the party deck--translation: Grace and Luke could run around and not be confined to teeny tiny seats. It looked for a good afternoon.

The trip was super fast and both kids slept. Beautiful New Jersey had gas and alcohol at a premium so we made some stops. The stadium is really cute and Grace was really excited. She kept practicing her chant "Let's go winners!" It seemed appropriate.

I'll be honest. I'm not a huge fan of baseball. I don't watch it on tv. Games are kind of boring to me. I still have nightmares that one of my baseball fanatic advisors was going to ask me to define the infield fly rule on my exams because it seemed like he explained it to me for the 3 years we worked together. I just don't really get it. Maybe if they could allow open field tackles I'd be more interested. . .

But I do love a good beer and hot dog so I'm usually up for one or two a summer. The kids ended up not being particularly into the game. Luke has been going through a ridiculously clingy phase that has me ready to either ram my head through a wall or jump out a window. I'm convinced I have permanent nerve damage in my left arm from carting his string bean ass everywhere. Grace would get into it off and on though she did inhale 2 hot dogs--a girl after my own heart. It was a good thing we had a lot of open space to spread out and easily take walks or it would have spelled doom.

Here's some pics from the day. All in all, we made it 7 innings and no one suffered a major meltdown (just nerve damage) This one goes down in the scrapbook as a "first official":

Grace loving her dad. Is he tickled or what?
Grace got her face painted for the first time! She LOVED showing off her beautiful butterfly to anyone who would look!
A close up of our bejeweled girl
Remain positive. Remain positive. Remain positive.
Attack of the Blue Claw monster!

No comments: