Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What You Do For One. . .

. . . you must do for two. . . .

On July 31, 2006, at 8:17 am Luke, 8 days late, made his way into this world screaming just as loud as his mother. You could call my labor experiences the long and the short of it. Luke was late, much like his sister. I distinctly remember sobbing in the parking lot when the doctor refused to induce me. Bastard.

I didn't know what labor felt like because I had been induced with Grace. So it came as a surprise when I actually was in labor and slept off and on though most of the night. The plan was to wait long enough that labor had progressed and I could get an epidural. So off to the hospital we went. We left at 7:30, got there about 7:35 (yes, Tom broke the speed barrier) and was being triaged by 7:45. They checked me, informed us I was at a 9, and I was having a baby. Now. This is where it turned into those bad Birth Story episodes. Woman screaming in pain, husband pale as a ghost, doctor nonchalant, woman screaming for drugs, medical staff ignoring her, husband looking progressively paler, woman screaming even louder. You get the idea.

I began to push but then the doctor started screaming stop because Luke's shoulders were stuck. I remember freaking out because I had no control over my body. Luckily a quick twist and out he came. The doctor announced it was a boy and I blurted out "I knew it!" The searing pain ended abruptly and my Jack, soon to be Luke, was checked out with daddy right by his side. We got to the hospital at 7:35. Luke arrived at 8:07, 8 pounds, 14 ounces.

When I think of Luke, he makes me giggle. He's just a funny guy. A violent, funny guy but we're working on that. Luke starts off pretty much every day laughing in his crib. What a way to greet the day! My heart bursts when he yells "Ha mommy. I like you!" or, to Tom when he's leaving for work, "Ba ba daddy! Have fun! Love you!" He takes the world by storm but leaves you laughing in his wake.

Luke's first official picture. Tom looks like he's in shock. Or something. . .

Love the dark hair.
Damn she looks good! Just moments before she birthed a baby sans drugs!
Haaaaa Luuuuuuke;)
Not so sure about his bouncer
He seems to have this deer in headlights look a lot
Everyone should take a very sad picture of their baby. Because it's damn funny!
First smile
Again--deer in headlights
Hey baby! Mr. February!

He was kind of a sad little TiggerI developed the strongest back muscles mankind has ever seen lugging him around in the Bjorn

The beginnings of a hair problem. . .
My Christmas baby
One of my favorites

A glimpse of an obsession to come
That hair. . . So very SeussicalRest time. Keeping up with Grace is tough!
Oatmeal hair!
Loving the car--still does

Classic lake shotThe before
And the after. Yes, the change was that dramatic. They lifted up the dark hair, flipped it over, cut it out and there was my blond boy.

Tootsies. You know I can't resist
The first time Luke danced to bluegrass. No one who was there can ever forget the scooting dancer

What is it with him and the "look." I swear the girls are in for itWinter fun
He charges $50 an hour. $60 if you want him to wear his pants
I'm thinking this is my all time favorite. Luke seriously makes this face a few times a day in moments of fantastic excitement: getting his crocs on, when Digby enters the room, when a firetruck goes by, when his trucks videos are on, when someone flushes the toilet, when anyone mentions cake, or ice cream, or chocolate milk, or he finds a long lost car.

4 comments:

Momma Maurer said...

He's so handsome! And that hair, wow, what a transformation. Happy Birthday Luke!

.jimaie.marie. said...

oh little lukey, i remember when that precious child was born!! look at all that dark hair, i remember what shock we were all in when you took him in a brunette and he came out a blondie!!! :D hee!
I love the pic of his little tootsies, oh so precious!

Happy Birthday Luke! you're growing up SO handsome!

Anonymous said...

I remember THAT HAIR! HAHAHA!!!! Those were great memories to see again Jen. Thanks for sharing! He's grown into quite the handsome young boy!
Summer

Anonymous said...

I loved that crazy muppet hair! He is so darn cute!