Friday, August 08, 2008

My Long Lost Love

All this talk of fast running made me realize it was high time for a tempo run. I hadn't done one since vacation when I had my little "break up." I was in the mood this week for one but the gods of cable service conspired against me 2 days in a row. I really wanted to do it on the TM because it would be a longer one but stupid Comcast was seriously late both days. I thought maybe I'd try it at night after the kids went down but I just can't do night runs. At 7:30 I just need to sit down. It's hard because I realize it's still relatively early in the evening but when you've been on your feet chasing 2 kids since 6:30 am, well, that's tiring. I could have done the morning but one morning Tom needed to get his in and another was a bad sleeping night in our house. You'd think at the ages of 2 and 4 we'd be beyond those. . .

I did get my run in today. I really like watching movies when I run. Last week I watched (for the second time) The Life Aquatic with Bill Murray. I adore that movie. Today Nacho Libre was on and I was seriously loving it. Nothing like a good, stupid movie to pass the time. Jack Black in tights is very inspiring. Todays run was a 10 minute warm up, 35 minutes at tempo, 10 minute cool down.

My warm up sucked. I was having a hard time settling in. I attribute this to nerves. I get a little anxious before tempos and go through a litany of "oh this is going to be hard. . . . " But then I eventually settled down. When it was time to kick it, I did but eased into it. My first mile was at 9:11 and then I took it down to 8:40 and kept it there. It was initially pretty hard but eventually my breathing evened out. I wasn't huffing and puffing, just working hard. In the beginning of mile 5 my butt started to ache which I took as a good sign.

Just under 6 miles in 55:00. I missed running fast and was glad I got it in. I still don't have cable but that's a whole other story. . .

2 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

You know your a runner when you take a butt ache as a good sign! Nice tempo run!

Maria said...

Was it a specific right or left butt ache or full-on butt ache attack? LOL, I get the left butt ache quite often.

Nice run!