So much running has taken place since the run that did not happen. Wanting to reclaim some control over my life, I buckled down and decided that if I really want to run I need to make it happen. Sure I have big responsibilities but I also have a very helpful husband who bends over backwards to make my runs happen. So enough sniffling about it and move on.
Thursday: Tempo Run
My tempo runs are getting progressively longer and while initially intimidated by this, I've been pleasantly surprised by how well they've been going. This run had a 10 minute warm up, 35 minutes tempo, 10 minute cool down. I decided to do this one on the TM to keep honest about my pace. After warming up, I worked it down to a 9:05 mile. For miles 2,3,4 and I kept it steady at 8:40. I used to feel my tempo runs in my lungs--seriously. Now I really feel it in my legs. Felt good.
Friday: Longer Run
This is my moderate paced longer run (not THE long run). Did 7 in 70 minutes. Felt great. Nice pace. No problems with the legs.
Saturday: Long Run
I decided I wanted to do my long run at the lake and get it out of the way. I did my favorite Barret's Road run and was warned by one of the 3 neighbors on this road that there has been a few bear sightings. Great! Glad I brought my spray. . . I spent half my run jumping every time I heard a rustling in the bushes! I didn't see a bear but I did do just under 12 in 1:43. Felt great and this was my first long run where I felt seriously strong and no achy joints. I was tickled.
Sunday: Recovery Run
45 minutes easy peasy
Monday: Light Day
45 minutes (about 4.5 miles) felt great
Tuesday: Tempo Run
Again, I had some trepidation because today it was 40 minutes of tempo running--something I've never done before. Today I headed out nice and early only to be greeted by the football team setting up. Thankfully they moved along (rather slowly and grudgingly I might add). I haven't run with music in a while and I had some nice, fast stuff loaded for today. I wanted to go out fast but not race pace.
Mile one came in at 8:40 and I decided this was the pace I wanted. Not so fast I was gasping for air--just nice, steady breathing. Subsequent miles came in between 8:30 and 8:40--this was great since I've always struggled with keeping my own pace outside. Mile 4 was an 8:27 which I attribute to some fast music (ironically The Killers singing "pace yourself for me") and mile 5 was 8:20 largely because I wanted to be done. Really felt it in my legs at the end--a sign of a good work out. I didn't want to stop once.
So things are looking good in Jen's running world. I'm planning on 2 upcoming halfs: the D&R Trail half which is near the lake and the PDR. If I like them and have fun, maybe the half at the Philly Marathon.
I feel like my running is rejuvenated but old running Jen has been flirting with me again and I'm trying to ignore her. Just have fun. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow, your long run was as fast as your tempo runs??? What are you eating/drinking at the lake? :)
Sounds like some great runs were had! Do you do your tempo runs on the track when you are outside? The mention of the football team made me ask that.
Well apparently I'm drinking something that affects my ability to do basic math!!! Probably too much wine! I didn't wear Tom's garmin but assumed I had done around 12 based on previous runs and the course--BUT NO WAY did I do 12 in that time. Probably more like just under 11.
Heather--we live around the corner from school and today I did my tempo on the track though I have been doing them on the TM. I enjoyed the track more than I thought I would so I'm definitely going back.
The balance between being a detail oriented and pure enjoyment runner is a tough one and something that often takes time to work out. Don't worry, keep doing what you're doing :-)
Post a Comment