Friday, September 05, 2008

And the Lucky Number is. . .

. . . 9:30. This seems to be the number of the week. Pick it in the lotto and see what happens. It seems to be speaking to me.

Saturday I got in a long run at the lake. I've actually not been looking forward to running at the lake. There's not a ton of options as to where you can go and it's getting a little boring. And taxing. The damn hills take it out of my legs for days to follow. I wore Tom's garmin this time and averaged a 10:05 pace or so for 11 miles. I'll take it. I'm looking forward to fall for a little variety in the landscape.

Sunday I took off. Monday I had a nice and slow 45 minutes on the hills and thanked my lucky stars for heading home.

Tuesday it was time for a tempo run. The night before I had talked to Tom about the possibility of making this a cut back week. We were considering doing a half marathon near the lake and I was a little concerned the miles were taking a toll. While I haven't had any injuries this time around, lots of people around me seem to have stuff cropping up and it's been on my mind. I decided to plunge ahead and see how I felt.

I hit the track nice and early after a terrible night's sleep. I wanted to do a 5 mile tempo run with an 8:30 pace. Mile one came in at 9:00 and I was really struggling. I finally warmed up but each lap was seriously hard. I was barely making 8:30s so I called it quits after four miles and extended my cool down home. I decided a cut back week would be good.

Wednesday I went out for a slightly longer run. I always make my tempo and long runs but the "longer" run has been hit or miss. I decided I wanted to do 5. I was surprised how good I felt and even more surprised to see a 9:30 pace. This is a bit faster than what I normally do but my breathing wasn't labored and legs had spunk. Huh.

Thursday was a nice and easy 4.5

Today I decided I wanted to get my long run because the rains are a comin. But that meant running in pea soup. It was 80 degrees when I left this morning and muggy as all get out. I didn't have the garmin (Tom had it at work) so I decided I would go for about 8 and just watch my breath and my legs. Besides being incredibly drenched, I felt fine. In fact, the park where I went, saw lots of runners and I enjoyed a lot of conversation which always makes the runs go faster. Lots of happy old people out walking and moms with carriages willing to shout a hello. I love that stuff.

On the way home I was actually passed by the dad of one of Grace's classmates. I shouted hello and we ran for a while. He was sick of the heat and wanted to head home but I wanted a little more and plodded on. When I got home I g-maped the course I had taken. Eight miles in 1:16. A 9:30 pace. How about that?

The numer 9:30 is exciting to me. I feel like since I trained for Broad Street I've sort of plateaued. This training cycle has not been as consistent as Broad Street but nonethless, I feel like I've been still putting in my time. That my pace has dropped about 30 seocnds (for at least this week), is a sign to me that I'm making progress. But I guess that could change next week. We'll see.

But I tell myself not to get preoccupied with "progress." It's this dance between running for fun and running for fitness. I want to keep improving as a runner but not at the expense of enjoying myself. This is tough particularly at this time of year with so many wonderul events coming up. There's a local 5K I'm dying to run in October and I keep visualizing myself smashing my PR. That would be pretty cool. As long as I have fun smashing my PR;)

1 comment:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I am the same way with the mid week "longer" runs. I keep meaning to do them, but never seem to have the time to completely do them. Maybe next week!

That's awesome that your pace is picking up, and you are having fun doing it. I don't think running for fun and running for fitness (improvement) are mutually exclusive. At least not yet, for me. I've been in a constant state of doing both for over a year. But I agree, I hope it never gets to the point where its not fun anymore. Because then what's the point of doing it?