I'm vexed and perplexed. I know--how does this differ from any other day? I haven't run in a week and it's making me really, seriously cranky.
Leading up to the Distance Run I had acheyness in my heel. I tried new shoes and stretching my calf--icing and advil to hold it off until the PDR was over. Well, it ached like hell after the PDR and aches off and on now. I haven't run since the race with the idea of giving it a good rest. Every day I stretch my calf muscles and my arch out. The pain is mostly in my heel though sometimes radiates up my arch. I try different shoes and it doesn't help. I take my shoes and it feels better. And then it aches so I put my shoes back on and it feels better. There's just no rhyme or reason to what's going on. This leads me to believe it's plantar fasciitis based on what I've read and I'm not happy about it. At least it seems like I caught it early and I understand what I need to do.
Whatever it is you want to call it, it requires attention or I'm afraid I could make it worse. I'm planning a few short runs on soft surfaces this week to see if it feels any worse. It rarely bothers me while I'm running. Mostly at the end of the day I find myself reaching for advil or some ice. If it's something chronic I most seriously don't want to taunt it.
I'm pretty bummed because I had entertained the thought of one more 1/2 marathon before calling it a season. I had such a great time doing the PDR, I really wanted another. I don't think this is in my cards though. I guess I'm not ready to concede the season is over. If my heel rebounds, there's a big race in December that I could train for. There's a few events but I like the idea of training for a 10K.
If anyone has any thoughts on plantar fasciitis or just food pain and running, please comment. Tom and I have discussed it at length and we're in agreement about resting it, some conservative trial runs and playing it by ear. I don't have access to a gym right now and we're really tight on space to set up my bike on rollers. I'm trying to remain optimistic but in the meantime I'll dazzle you readers with reports on my home improvement projects which has become my lastest outlet for all my energy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Two things I've heard for it:
1. Freeze a water bottle and roll your heal over it
2. Roll your heal on a tennis or golf ball.
Don't give up. There's 8 weeks to the Philly half. Your base is already up there, I'm sure you could be ready for it!
Do you know the golf ball trick? Roll your foot over a golf ball to loosen the fascia. If that's too hard (literally), use a tennis ball instead.
What a bummer. Hope you get it figured out. I LOVE 10ks - I would like to focus on that race sometime, after this marathon craziness is done!
Hang in there. Hope you can run soon.
Sorry Jen, I have no advice for the PF... I do, however, always like to take a break from structured training after a big race. It's great to reset your body and I think it keeps running more enjoyable. Hope you're feeling better!
Post a Comment