Thursday, October 30, 2008

Home

My dad is from Roxborough.
He's worked for the city of Philadelphia his entire life.
When we were little we used to wave to "Billy Penn" on City Hall.
My mom was from Fox Chase.
Her family was from North Philly (when the Irish lived there).
We grew up saying "wudder." I still say it sometimes. It's fun.
None of my family has left the Philadelphia area.
We love Philadelphia.
We love our pretzels, cheesesteaks, hoagies, and beer.
We love our people.
We love our teams in good times and bad.
They give our city Hope. Pride.
We watched the game with my sister, her husband, and my 7-year old-nephew "down the bense."
I saw the nervous excitement in my nephew's eyes.
I heard everyone's silent prayers. Please, please, please. . .
We rocked with anxiousness as we sat on the floor.
We exploded with the last pitch.
I ran up and down my street banging pots and pans.
Red, sweatsuit, drunk guy racing down the street: I salute you.
I heard our normally quiet neighborhood explode with cars honking and firecrackers going off.
In my excitement I broke my spoon. I plan on framing it.
To be with my Philadelphia family, screaming and banging pots and pans-something we have not done as a family in far too long- priceless.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Great post! It almost... almost, sounded like one of those Bud Light commercials, Real Men of Genius. Red, sweatsuit, drunk guy - I salute you!

Congratulations Phillies!

Theia said...

Ditto!! Great post! I burst out laughing about the pots and pans; that's exactly what my mother and brother did in 1980 (I was busy cheering AT the game, thankyouverymuch).