This morning started bright and early: 6:15 to hit the track. More on that later.
We headed into the city this morning to see one of our most favorite people in the whole wide world: our pediatrician. I've spoken of him before and I can't say enough wonderful things about him. He spent an hour talking with me today. Topics ranged from time outs for Luke, how best to dodge a flying matchbox car, life's big questions from Grace, sassiness, and the frustrations that come with being an at home mom.
The kids are positively healthy. Grace is tall (90%) and skinny (50%) and Luke is tall (75%) and very skinny (25%). I basically got a big affirmation that we're doing great. In fact, we have not been to the pediatrician since Luke's last check up . No winter antibiotics or anything. This, he remarked, was nothing short of amazing. Everyone did great listening to the doctor. Grace asked him a few questions. She wanted to know his favorite color and favorite dinosaur. He didn't blink an eye and very seriously said blue and the t. rex. Grace was tickled.
The one bit of bad news is that there is nothing really new in the world of peanut allergies. I was disappointed because you hear off and on about this study or that study that sounds promising. But nothing big enough that has changed the protocol for dealing with it. We got our epi prescription renewed and we talked about lunch at school.
Grace's school program has the option of an extended lunch program. He felt strongly since Grace had experienced contact hives that she should sit at a peanut-free table. This made my heart sink. I hate the idea of her sitting at a "special" table. The good news is that her cousin Tim is in the same class and I know she can sit with him. When we tried this once last year all the kids who had said they'd come peanut free, did not. Their moms had forgotten. Oh it made my heart sink.
But, this is something we've gotten used to. We have to go through the drill all over again with school this year which I'm not looking forward to but it's just a fact of life at this point.
So my run. . . .My name is Jen and I have a speed problem. Not in a good way. This whole starting fast thing I need to get under control before I hurt myself or ruin my love of running. Today was a 5 mile tempo run. I wanted between 8:30-and 8:40 miles.
10 minute warm up
Mile 1: 8:00
Mile 2: 8:02
Mile 3: 8:30 (there it is! BUT, at this point it would have been a 5K PR)
Mile 4: 8:27 (woot-I'm on track!)
Mile 5: 8:20 (I wanted to be done?)
10 minute cool down.
Maybe I need to warm up longer? I honestly listened to my lungs and I wasn't huffing and puffing though I should have realized when my legs felt tight what was going on. A bunch of guys were working on the "stadium" and one said when I was done "It's too early to run!" I said, "No shit!" They thought I was funny.
How do you like my new banner? Isn't it adorable? My friend Heather made it for me and it's so damn cute, I can't stop myself from looking at it! Thanks Heather!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sweet new banner and sweet run!!! Sometimes a longer warm-up won't slow the pace either - you may have just needed to bust out them fast guy miles, lots going on. ;)
Hi Jen - this is my first time to your blog, but have read Tom's for a long time. I LOVE your banner - very cool! And nice tempo run - don't be so tough on yourself!
Post a Comment